A woman emailed me to beg for permission to commit suicide. She said, "I can't catch a break. The battles never stop. I don't want to live anymore."
My heart goes out to my hurting friend. I well understand where she's coming from. Besides, who can't relate to even an occasional feeling of discouragement? The truth is many of us have received our share of blisters as we've walked an unintended path of pain. If you've ever found yourself standing in the middle of a road called despair, know there is a shortcut to freedom, a shortcut that has everything to do with life and nothing to do with suicide.
That way is Jesus. He is the path that can take you safely through a world of difficulties. Not only does he provide a way through your troubles, he walks through your troubles with you. In fact, if my friend will give him permission, he will also walk with her and lead her to peace in her storm.
In Next Door Savior, Max Lucado wrote, "The Fort Knox of faith is Christ. Fellowshipping with Him. Waiting with Hm. Pondering Him. Exploring Him. The heart-stopping realization that in Him you are part of something ancient, endless, unstoppable and unfathomable. And that He, who can dig the Grand Canyon with His pinkie, thinks you're worth his death on Roman timber. Christ is the reward of Christianity. Why else would Paul make Him his supreme desire? 'I want to know Christ' (Phil. 3:10 NCV)."
The words that could help you start your journey to peace could include a prayer like:
Jesus - thank you for taking the blame and punishment for my mistakes. Forgive me for my sins. I give you me. I give you my burdens, my troubles, my despair and worries. These are now your problems because I choose to rest in you.
A prayer like this can change everything. It will take you to peace. To life. To freedom. To Christ.
To take a test about faith in Christ, see www.GodTest.com.
For a library of articles for those depressed or suicidal, please visit ThinkingAboutSuicide.com.
Linda Evans Shepherd is a nationally known Christian speaker and a best-selling author of over 30 books. She's the president of Right to the Heart Ministries, founder of the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association (AWSA) and the founder of GodTest.com. Her latest book is Winning Your Daily Spiritual Battles.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer