In a Religion News Service story yesterday, A. James Rudin, senior interreligious affairs adviser for the American Jewish Committee, included Billy Graham as a prominent Christian leader who stood against the evangelization of the Jewish people.
"This could not be further from the truth," responded David Brickner, executive director of Jews for Jesus.
Jean Graham Ford (Billy Graham's sister) in response said, "My brother believed that the gospel was for everyone."
Brickner commented, "I think it's fair to assume that 'everyone' includes my Jewish people."
The RNS piece also cited the recent (July) removal of a prayer in the liturgy of the Anglican Church of Canada calling for the conversion of Jewish people as evidence that this is a trend among Christians. This particular synod is not representative of Anglicanism worldwide. Rev. Dr. Stephen Abbott, former church consultant for evangelism and discipleship for the Anglican diocese of Sydney, Australia, said, "I am disheartened to hear that there are denominations and churches closing off evangelism to the Jewish people. As an Anglican, I'm totally committed to the work of evangelism including Jewish people, for Jesus is their Messiah."
Other noted Christian leaders have publicly stated their support for Jewish evangelism as well:
Joni Eareckson-Tada, Christian author and founder of Joni and Friends: "God loves the Jewish people, and the best way to show His love is to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with them."
John Piper, well-known evangelical preacher and writer: "I see it (sharing Christ with Jewish people) as obedience to Jesus and as the very embodiment of the love of Christ for lost sinners like me. 'Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life' (1 John 5:12)."
Brickner concluded, "While some would like to portray Jewish evangelism efforts as 'inappropriate' or at best 'futile,' we are seeing more and more Jewish people seriously considering Jesus as their Messiah."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details