In the aftermath of the Supreme Court's decision on marriage, which effectively codifies Bible believers as bigots, the attack on conservative Christian values has reached fever pitch.
This is not the slightest surprise, as I and many others have been warning for some time now, but the ferocity and ugliness of it is still shocking, and it is something we must be prepared for.
The other day I posted on Twitter, "Much has changed since the SCOTUS decision, but more has not changed. Jesus is still Lord, the world is still fallen, Satan is still raging."
An "equality" advocate responded by challenging me to name one thing in my life that had changed since the decision.
I responded, "The absolutely horrific, ugly, non-stop, nasty, vile attack on me (& colleagues) from LGBT advocates. That's just one. :)"
Bear in mind that I constantly address LGBT issues with sensitivity and compassion (for two recent examples, see here and here), but because I strongly oppose gay activism, that makes me a "hater" of the worst kind.
Here's just the tiniest sample of posts on my Facebook page in the days following the Supreme Court decision, almost all of them coming from those who identify as LGBT (or their advocates), and almost all of them being totally unsolicited—in other words, open attacks rather than responses to my own posts or comments.
Of course, I'm not complaining about this—far from it—nor is this worth comparing with the real suffering endured by Christians around the world. It is simply a representative sampling to remind us of what we're up against.
- Here is a man who preaches hate and ignorance.
- What a pathetic example of humanity your opinion and those who follow you portray. Small mindedness is unacceptable this day and age. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!
- You are not a Christian, you probably are a devil worshipper passing for a Christian.
- People would get a better look at the gospel from Satan himself ... and I'm not even a Satanist. If you take the Bible literally, do not bother responding to me. Thanks!
- This guy is just another cultist who worships the evil, mass-murdering, incest-obsessed, rape-encouraging and hate-mongering god of Abraham as a good thing. Anyone who worships evil as good and claims that basic human rights is something to be fought against is a threat to civilization and a terrorist.
- Just another cult leader, disgusting!
- A very hateful, stupid person. The worst kind.
- Completely ignorant. Shut your mouth and mind your business.
- Just another brainwashed, uneducated Christian.
- Doctor of what, exactly? Bigotry? Intolerance? Ignorance? Do they give out Ph.D.s just for being a complete (expletive) these days?
- Just another ignorant, hate-filled Christian bigot.
- Who wants to ask a bigot doctor anything! [Note: These last five, among others not cited here, were received within a 45-minute period.]
- BRAVO to the Supreme Court! You LOST, Christian bigot! Get over it!
- Ignorant bigot.
- Icky bigot.
- Another ridiculous, ignorant bigot. Get the (expletive) out.
- Close-minded bigot who thinks he's better than others because of his close-minded beliefs.
- Bigots like this wrapping themselves in religion while viciously attacking LGBTQ folks is DISGUSTING. The Supreme Court has ruled. Gays exist and are just as valid and have all the same rights you do. SHUT YOUR BIGOT FACE. NOW!
- You're a (expletive) gross, pimple-nosed (expletive) (expletive). Dr. Brown I hope you catch (a specific deadly disease) and die.
Again, this is only a tiny sampling of what I've actually seen, which represents a tiny sampling of hateful comments that I haven't seen, but the overall theme is undeniably clear: If you do not affirm homosexual "marriage," homosexual relationships and even homosexuality itself, you are a hate-filled, despicable, uneducated bigot, with the emphasis on that last word, bigot.
How then do we respond?
First, the uglier and more vile the attacks, the more we know we're doing the right thing. The opposition is a sign of encouragement to us, and the more people try to silence us, the louder we shout.
Second, we must remember that this is a spiritual battle and that Satan hates homosexuals and heterosexuals alike. Fervent prayer is one of our greatest resources.
Third, we must bless those who curse us and overcome evil with good, to use the words of Jesus and Paul. Responding to hatred with hatred will hurt everyone, ourselves included.
Fourth, we must continue to propagate the truth until the lies are dispelled, cutting through the emotional arguments and rhetorical attacks and doing our best to get people to think, sometimes by asking questions.
Fifth, we must remember that Jesus already warned us that the world would hate us for doing what is right, and so we must renew our resolve to stand firm with backbones of steel and hearts of compassion.
Sixth, we must determine afresh to bring the good news of the gospel to everyone, knowing that our ultimate counterculture weapon is the message of the death and resurrection of the Son of God.
Seventh, we must pray for revival and visitation, knowing that only a massive move of God can turn the tide.
Ultimately, whether America goes up or down, we will continue to live for the Lord, continue to do what is right, continue to reach out and continue to stand strong.
Michael Brown is the host of the nationally syndicated talk radio show The Line of Fire and is the president of FIRE School of Ministry. His newest book (September, 2015) is Outlasting the Gay Revolution: Where Homosexual Activism Is Really Going and How to Turn the Tide. Connect with him on Facebook at AskDrBrown or on Twitter @drmichaellbrown
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.