BBC's Songs of Praise has alienated its viewers after it featured a same-sex wedding in this week's program.
Jamie Wallace and Ian McDowell married at Rutherglen United Reformed Church near Glasgow—one of the few denominations to have accepted the redefinition of marriage.
While presenter Kate Bottley described the URC decision as "momentous", viewers were disappointed by the one-sided presentation of same-sex marriage on a Christian program.
The couple were able to speak without challenge on the program, with Mr. Wallace justifying his stance by saying: "Jesus preaches about love and inclusion, kindness, compassion."
Commenting on Twitter, one viewer said: "Your coverage of the same-sex wedding, was very weak and one sided, no verbal challenge or biblical view of this issue."
Another tweeted: "This can't be serious, a gay wedding on songs of praise. Don't you read the Bible, or do you rip out the pages that may upset your lifestyle. Making a mockery of the church and on national tv."
The Christian Institute's Director Colin Hart said: "It is deeply offensive to see same-sex marriage celebrated in such a way on what is supposed to be a Christian devotional program.
"Those connected to the program are boasting that they are 'not afraid of controversy.' In fact, they seem to delight in it.
"But for many who are housebound and unable to get to church, Songs of Praise has been one of the few sources of orthodox Christian worship they may have had access to.
"By featuring a same-sex ceremony, and for presenting those who may disagree as wrong-thinking, Songs of Praise has alienated this core audience."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer