Call it a Christmas miracle: Iraq, a predominantly Muslim nation, declared Dec. 25 to be a national holiday to celebrated "on the occasion of the birth of Jesus Christ."
The official Twitter account for the Iraqi government released multiple statements and clips discussing the move and the role of Christians in the Middle Eastern country.
We extend our warmest wishes to Christians in Iraq and around the world for a very happy and peaceful Christmas. pic.twitter.com/eqOR2JJ0LS— Government of Iraq - الحكومة العراقية (@IraqiGovt) December 25, 2018
On Christmas Eve, PM @AdilAbdAlMahdi met with Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican Secretary of State, and his delegation and reaffirmed that Iraqi Christians are an integral part of Iraq's national community. pic.twitter.com/MZSKUcMbip— Government of Iraq - الحكومة العراقية (@IraqiGovt) December 25, 2018
The Cabinet holds its weekly meeting in Baghdad. Find out more here: https://t.co/vpTbRYGVsD— Government of Iraq - الحكومة العراقية (@IraqiGovt) December 25, 2018
Open Doors USA, a persecution watchdog group, ranks Iraq as No. 8 on its World Watch List.
According to the 2018 report:
In Iraq, numerous groups contribute to Christian persecution. Radical movements such as the Islamic State (IS) group target Iraqi Christians and other religious minorities for kidnappings and killings. Islamic leaders slander Iraqi Christians in mosques, leading to further persecution. Government officials, both national and local, have threatened Iraqi Christians, "encouraging" them to leave the country. Political parties who hinder pluralism also contribute to the persecution of Iraqi Christians in the public space. Moreover, Iraqi Christians from Muslim backgrounds face serious pressure from their clans, families and communities, who will sometimes go so far as to try to kill them. At the same time, within Christianity, leaders of historic churches have sometimes thwarted official recognition of newer Iraqi Christian denominations.
David Curry, president of Open Doors USA, says, "Christianity was birthed in the Middle East, so it's appropriate and right that the Iraqi government is creating space for religious freedom for Christians."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer