Tesco has come under fire for a joint promotion with confectionary brand Skittles to celebrate Pride in London—a gay rights festival.
All-white packets of Skittles are being sold in stores across the UK alongside explanatory text which reads: "During Pride, only one rainbow matters. So we've given ours up to show support."
Proceeds from each packet sold will be given to LGBT organizations chosen by Tesco.
Skittles' brand owner Wrigley said its decision to drop the iconic rainbow branding from packets is intended to show support for Pride in London and "celebrate diversity and inclusion."
Colin Hart, Director of The Christian Institute, said people should know that Tesco has gone "out of its way" to back the LGBT agenda.
"Why do any kind of sweets need to be politicized? People should be able to buy their favorite confectionary without being forced to consume a political message as well."
In 2011, Tesco sparked outrage when it dropped its support for the Cancer Research 'Race for Life', and announced shortly after that it would become a headline sponsor of Pride in London.
At the time, critics asked why it had chosen to align itself with an "aggressive political organization", instead of another mainstream charity such as the British Legion or Age U.K.
Following the criticism, the supermarket giant indicated that it would no longer sponsor homosexual pride events and would look for other ways to promote LGBT issues in ways that do "not include sponsoring events".
Pride in London
However, in recent years the supermarket has been named as a "gold" supporter of Pride in London.
This year, it has pledged to create a large float for the gay pride march and hand out free drinks and sweets to those in attendance.
Pride in London takes place between June 24 and July 9. All-white Skittles will be sold in Tesco stores until September this year.
In 2012, Tesco named Cancer Research as its charity of the year. The supermarket is currently an official partner of the Race for Life. Tesco estimates that it has raised over 20 million pounds for the event.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details