Elyse knew she needed to do something. After having been in a community outreach program at OM Lifehope for the last nine months, busy with ministry, her world was turned upside down by a DVD she watched one night.
On the subject of human trafficking, the DVD featured Christine Caine of the A21 Campaign. “Christine talked about the fact that just having sympathy was not enough,” says Elyse. She was confronted with the reality that action was necessary. Elyse told her teammates about what she had heard, and all three felt they should do something in response. Jumping into the car, they headed to a brothel 10 minutes away from Lifehope.
“We got there and our plans that night were just to go out and pray,” explains Elyse. “But we soon realized it was more serious than we knew. As we prayed, we all felt like someone was standing on our chests.” The three stood across the street from the brothel and prayed together for those inside. “At that point,” says Elyse, “we decided we were going back every single night.”
Thus began a month of prayer, with a small group posted across the street from the brothel each night, praying for those inside. “When we were praying, there was this sense that ‘We’re not alone in this,’” says Elyse. “Even when pimps were angry and telling us to leave, I had no reason to be afraid. God was in our midst.”
One particularly painful night came one week into prayer when the team witnessed young girls being delivered to the brothel. “It’s the difference between watching a documentary and seeing it right before your eyes,” says Elyse.
A month after praying began, the signs were removed, a notice was put on the door and the brothel was shut down. The team couldn’t believe it at first; they continued to pray another night before actually reading the sign on the door that confirmed it. Elyse smiles as she remembers her team’s response. “We were kind of like ‘Whoa! It actually worked!’”
Human trafficking can sometimes make people feel helpless. “You just feel like you’re their only voice,” says Elyse. “But I saw myself as important in this. This was my role.”
In the United Kingdom, there are untold numbers of human trafficking victims. Please continue to pray that more brothels would be permanently shut down, and for people involved in all aspects of human trafficking to meet living hope in Jesus Christ.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details