South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott says on the sixth anniversary of the day Dylann Roof murdered nine people and wounded 13 others in a racist rampage at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, believers have an obligation and responsibility to "use our resources and talents in a way that serves the least of these."
In a recent interview with Star Parker, the founder and president of the Center for Urban Renewal and Education, Scott says despite this horrendous tragedy Charleston has ever known, from it came the "greatest act of unification you'll ever see in this state's history."
In fact, one of the surviving family members of the shooting recalled the truth found in Romans 8:28, saying, "Forgiveness is the only way forward."
And of this incredible faith, Scott says, "It's impossible not to hear the message by those nine family members and not be hopeful."
But, he continues, "it's also impossible for such a message of forgiveness and unconditional love not be embraced by a nation and a world hungry for the truth."
The surviving family members provided the truth. Now it's up to those who honor their legacy to ensure that truth is spread. When the truth needs to be spoken, especially about racial reconciliation, Scott has discovered "forgiveness is the beginning of healing and restoration from the inside out, not from the outside in."
Scott shared how just days after the murder, the family members looked Roof in the eyes and said, "We forgive you."
"Not only do we forgive you, but we see the ability to reconcile not you with us but you with God."
In the fight for racial reconciliation, many would give up and say, "This is too hard."
But Sen. Scott and the state of South Carolina are proof that forgiveness is not only possible, but absolutely necessary.
"Our nation wins when we recognize the fact that we all are sinners saved by grace, we are flawed individuals with an amazing promise," Scott concludes. "In our future, the key for us is to recognize that to focus on it and do something about it, the most important thing you can do is deal with you, and then your family, then your community, then your city, then your state, then your nation."
Watch Parker's full interview with Sen. Scott here:
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details