SoCal Pastor Greg Laurie caught up with My Faith Votes recently at the National Religious Broadcasters convention. He talked openly with us about his new book, Jesus Revolution, America's need for another spiritual awakening, the church's role as salt and light and where our ultimate hope lies. For a few truly uplifting moments, watch the full interview.
Standing in front of the colorful Jesus Revolution bus, Pastor Greg Laurie shared his testimony of becoming a Christ-follower during America's last great spiritual revival—the Jesus Movement —in the 1960s and 1970s. He believes America is in desperate need of spiritual revival today and that the apparent divisions in our country over race, economic status, politics, religion and so on pose no obstacle to God. In fact, Laurie suggests the timing might be "more ripe" for spiritual awakening because most revivals "seem to happen during times of conflict."
Laurie says Christians must pray for spiritual revival in their own lives as a catalyst for America to experience spiritual revival and must recommit to follow the biblical exhortation to live as salt and light in our culture. By comparing believers to salt, Laurie says the Bible calls Christians to be cultural preservatives, and the best way to do that is to "proclaim the gospel." As light, Christians are to beat back the darkness and stop the spread of evil.
Along with prayer and preaching, Laurie suggests a practical way for Christians to oppose evil is to register and vote. No candidate will ever align perfectly with biblical values but, he says, "find one that is as close to biblical values as possible and vote for them."
That's our core mission at My Faith Votes. We work every day to empower Christians to put their faith into action. That means helping Christians to be informed and think well about the issues being decided at the ballot box, to pray for our country and our leaders and, ultimately, to live out our faith by voting.
There is no perfect political or cultural solution for America. "Our hope is in nothing that human beings can do," Laurie says. "Our hope is in God. The Bible calls that our 'blessed hope.'"
Jason Yates is CEO of My Faith Votes, a nonpartisan movement that motivates, equips and activates Christians in America to vote in every election, transforming our communities and influencing our nation with biblical truth. By partnering with national faith leaders, My Faith Votes provides resources to help Christians pray, think and act to create an America where God is honored in the public square. Gov. Mike Huckabee serves as the organization's honorary national chairman.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details