Two Christian business owners in the U.S. are faced with imprisonment and fines after refusing to use their artistic talents to create invitations for a same-sex wedding.
Graphic designers Joanna and Breanna run a stationery company called Brush & Nib Studio that makes invitations for different events, including weddings.
Their story is the latest in a series of legal cases in the U.S. where Christians are being forced to comply with pro-LGBT laws.
'Beliefs About Marriage'
They have been accused of violating laws which require Christians to cater for all customer requests, including those made by same-sex couples.
The Phoenix non-discrimination ordinance also prevents them from explaining to customers and the public why they could only create art consistent with their beliefs about marriage.
There is now the threat of a $2,500 fine and possible imprisonment for up to six months for refusing to comply.
They are being supported in their legal case by Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), a religious liberty group.
Jonathan Scruggs of the ADF said: "We fully expect to have a hearing in the next few weeks on our motion for preliminary injunction and to have the Arizona superior court grant our motion and vindicate the free speech and religious liberty rights of our clients.
"No American, including artists, should have the government force them to create art against their artistic and religious beliefs," he added.
Christian Legal Cases
Last week, Lorie Smith, a fellow Christian graphic designer, filed a federal lawsuit in Colorado.
She is also hoping to avoid being forced to convey a same-sex message that conflicts with her religious beliefs.
Bakery owner Jack Phillips is another example of a Christian who is under threat.
Phillips refused to make a cake for a same-sex wedding and after several unsuccessful court cases, he has now applied for his case to be heard at the U.S. Supreme Court.
This article originally appeared in The Christian Institute.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details