Former members of the now-dissolved Mars Hill Church filed a racketeering lawsuit against controversial Pastor Mark Driscoll, alleging he ran the congregation like a "crime syndicate" with another elder.
The former members want to know where $30 million in their tithes went. The plaintiffs are suing Driscoll and former elder John Sutton Turner under a law originally created to prosecute mafia figures, according to the Daily Beast.
When reached for comment, a representative for Driscoll's ministry said, "Pastor Mark Driscoll has not been served any legal complaint and cannot comment until he has been."
The Seattle Times reports the lawsuit alleges Driscoll and Turner used church money to fund Driscoll's book Real Marriage.
Defendant Brian Jacobsen launched a GoFundMe page last April to fund the suit.
"It is time for Christians everywhere to stand up and say, 'Enough!! We will no longer put up with pastors who reach for honor for themselves and who enrich themselves at the expense and harm of those they claim to be shepherding!'" Jacobsen posted on the page.
"When leaders in the Church choose to stay silent, others must speak up. Paul's mandate to Timothy regarding leaders who persist in certain sins (1 Timothy 5:19-20) must not be ignored by the Church. Most of those who were leaders at Mars Hill Church have chosen to remain silent.
"Please help us discover and make clear the truth about what happened at Mars Hill Church by contributing to this fund for a RICO lawsuit against the former top leaders of Mars Hill."
Since Mars Hill dissolved, Driscoll moved from Seattle to Phoenix and launched Trinity Church.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details