This weekend is Super Bowl Sunday in the United States. While it's about American football, key government leaders say much more takes place, and it isn't good.
Last February, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbot shocked Americans when he called the Super Bowl "the single largest human trafficking incident in the U.S."
This week, human trafficking legislation had bipartisan support.
U.S. Congressman Tim Walberg of Michigan helped lead the debate on the floor this week that helped pass 12 anti-human trafficking bills. "They hit the issues relative to the agencies, departments, homeland security, law enforcement, welfare, human service providers that come in contact with this issue and beefing up their ability to deter and detect."
This legislation will also help private citizens identify the problem.
Will it curb Super Bowl sexual exploitation? Walberg says, "It can't help but help. The idea of being able to train people to profile–I mean, that's what we're actually talking about, profiling–human trafficked victims as well as traffickers is an important component part of this legislation."
Donna Abbott with Bethany Christian Services works with refugee and immigrant victims. She says the welfare part of the program will help victims. Why? "Remember, everything that they've had has been taken from them or removed from them, and so once they are identified, they need services: housing, clothing, food and help with employment."
Bethany shares the love and compassion of Christ as they help. "They've been tortured by others, and we hope that the love and compassion we saw as a Christian community will come through to them. With more victims identified and referred for services, there will be the need for more resources."
Abbott says this legislation will help Bethany do more training, raise awareness and provide the resources needed to help victims.
The bipartisan legislation moves to the Senate for consideration. Bipartisan support is expected there. It's unclear if the president will sign the legislation if it makes it that far.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details