A Winston-Salem, North Carolina, diner no longer will dish out discounts along with dinner to praying customers.
Mary's Gourmet Diner had been offering a 15 percent discount for customers seen offering grace before meals during the past four years.
The practice stayed under the radar until a Christian music radio station in Orlando, Florida, uploaded a photo of a receipt with the discount to Facebook on July 30. Then it went viral.
The restaurant said the discount was given to customers at the discretion of the wait staff and was open to people of all religious beliefs. But that left out discounts for the nonreligious.
Elizabeth Cavell, staff attorney at the Freedom From Religion Foundation, began hearing complaints about the discount from state and national members. The Freedom From Religion Foundation is the largest national association of so-called "freethinkers," or people of no religious beliefs.
She then wrote a letter to the diner's owner, Mary Haglund, on Aug. 4, asking her to stop offering the discount.
"As a place of 'public accommodation,' it is illegal for Mary's Gourmet Diner to discriminate, or show favoritism, on the basis of religion," the letter said. "Your restaurant's restrictive promotional practice favors religious customers, and denies customers who do not pray and nonbelievers the right to 'full and equal' enjoyment of Mary's Gourmet Diner."
On Thursday, a handwritten board near the front door announced that the restaurant no longer would offer the prayer discount.
"While you may exercise your right of religious freedom at this restaurant by praying over your meal to any entity or non-entity. We must protect your freedom from religion in a public place," the sign said.
The restaurant declined to comment.
This is not the first such restaurant promotion.
In 2012, Prudhomme's Lost Cajun Kitchen, a Pennsylvania-based restaurant, was offering discounts to individuals who brought in a church bulletin on Sundays. After complaints, the restaurant was forced to give the discount to anyone with a bulletin from any congregation, including atheist ones.
Copyright 2014 Religion News Service. All rights reserved. No part of this transmission may be distributed or reproduced without written permission.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details