The U.S. Supreme Court agreed on Tuesday to consider whether a town in Arizona discriminated against a local church by forcing it to remove signs notifying the public of its worship services.
The nine justices agreed to hear an appeal filed by the Good News Community Church, which objected to its treatment by town officials in Gilbert, Arizona.
The church, led by Pastor Clyde Reed, said the town's 2008 sign ordinance treated its religious messages differently than other types of signs. The ordinance has different categories, based on content, that determine the size of the sign, where it can be placed, and how long it can be displayed.
The church's signs were deemed to be event signs, which meant they received "far worse treatment" than other types, including those displaying political messages, its lawyers said.
The town's lawyers asked the court not to hear the case, in part because a new, less restrictive ordinance was enacted in 2011.
The Supreme Court will review a February 2013 ruling in which the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the church's challenge. The court said the town's treatment of different signs was not content-based.
Oral arguments and a ruling are due in the court's next term, which begins in October and ends in June 2015.
The case is Reed v. Gilbert, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 13-502.
Reporting by Lawrence Hurley; Editing by Will Dunham and Jeffrey Benkoe
© 2014 Thompson Reuters. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details