Mark Driscoll, of Seattle-based Mars Hill Church, announced plans for a 16th regional church to be launched in Phoenix early next year.
Driscoll introduced Pastor Ryan Welsh, who said he and his family plan to move to Phoenix in mid-August to begin planting the church.
“We want to get a core group started as soon as possible,” Welsh told Driscoll in the announcement, seen in a video. “We want 150 people and 30 people to raise their hand and say, ‘I want to be a community group leader.’”
Welsh said they plan to immediately start training the community group leaders to prepare for a public launch in late January or early February 2014.
Driscoll started Mars Hill in Seattle in 1996. Today, around 15,000 people attend weekly Sunday services at 14 locations—with 11 in the greater Puget Sound region; one in Albuquerque, N.M.; one in Portland, Ore.; one in Orange County, Calif.; and one more coming in Tacoma, Wash.
According to Mars Hill Church, “Planting churches is a natural extension of God’s mission for us to make disciples—and a priority for us. We plant churches so that more people can meet Jesus. The way the first disciples of Jesus fulfilled this calling of His to make disciples was by planting churches that preached the gospel and cared for each other and their cities. Through churches, people hear about Jesus, make Jesus their identity, worship Jesus, find community and become part of Jesus’ mission here on earth.”
Mars Hill’s church-planting efforts are mainly rooted in their leadership development by training and raising up leaders through their Lead Pastor Residency program, which the church says gives “the necessary knowledge and skills to be a Mars Hill or Acts 29 lead pastor.
“The program tests calling, character and competency while also providing you with growth plans and development opportunities to ensure you're prepared for long-term pastoral leadership.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details