Former KKK Grand Wizard David Duke has announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate in Louisiana as a Republican.
Last week, he hinted strongly that he would be making an announcement about running for office. But at the time, he suggested he would be running against his local congressman, U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise.
In announcing his candidacy, Duke made no explanation as to why he has decided to run for Senate instead of the House of Representatives. The incumbent, U.S. Sen. David Vitter, announced last year he would not seek re-election, which has drawn a large crowd to the primary race.
Including Duke, a dozen candidates have lined up to run in the primary. They are:
- U.S. Rep. John Fleming, a Republican
- U.S. Rep. Charles Boustany, a Republican
- Former U.S. Rep. Joseph Cao, a Republican
- Businessman Abhay Patel, a Republican
- Comedienne Kaitlin Marone, a liberal independent
- Former attorney Arden Wells, a "Dixiecrat" independent
- Businessman Gary Landrieu, a Democrat
- Former Alcohol and Tobacco Commissioner Troy Hebert, a Democrat
- Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell, a Democrat
- Human rights activist Le Roy Gillam, a Libertarian
- Businessman Thomas Clements, an independent Libertarian
Louisiana has a non-partisan blanket primary election—also referred to as a "jungle primary"—in which all of the candidates will appear on the Nov. 8 general election ballot, regardless of political affiliation. If one candidate receives and outright majority, he or she wins election.
If not, the two candidates with the highest vote totals square off in a runoff election two weeks later.
See Duke's announcement below.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.