Bruce Jenner might be a Republican, but the transgender icon is certainly moving leftward on the political spectrum.
In clips from a 20/20 interview with Diane Sawyer, the former Olympian dished about a new memoir, shifting views on gay marriage and a golf invite from Donald Trump. Although still identifying with the Republican Party, Jenner articulated some concerns.
On the subject of LGBT rights, Sawyer probed whether Jenner's firm belief in traditional unions had changed.
"How do you really feel about gay marriage?" she asked.
The former Olympian's response was emphatic. "I am 100 percent behind gay marriage."
"I think two years ago, you said it was an evolving process," Sawyers pushed.
"Which it was! Yeah." Jenner rejoindered. "But I am. Get it straight. I am all for it."
The two also touched on Jenner's controversial affiliation with the Republican Party—a fact that roils many members of the overwhelmingly progressive LGBT community. "Are you still a Trump Republican?" Sawyer questioned.
"Yes, I did vote for Trump. But here's the deal breaker with the Republican Party," Jenner responded. "You mess with my community, you do the wrong thing with our community, you don't give us equality and a fair shot, I'm coming after you."
Jenner then articulated support for former president Obama's directive on trans inclusion in the military and further noted a desire to mobilize the Republican Party to engage in similar policy changes.
"You haven't talked to Trump, right?" Sawyer asked. "Secretly, privately?"
Jenner recalled a chat with the President at an inaugural cocktail party. Although Trump invited Jenner to play golf with him, the latter eventually decided it wasn't a "good idea."
But talking with other GOP officials was still on the table.
"Do you still think McConnell, Pence will see you—if you call them?" Sawyer concluded.
"I know they will," Jenner affirmed.
ABC's Caitlyn Jenner: The Secrets of My Life aired at 10 pm on Friday night.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details