As the old saying goes, "In polite company, never discuss religion or politics." And now, new research helps explain why.
YouGov released some new data Tuesday that indicate attitudes about who is and isn't "a good Christian" have less to do with denomination and more to do with political views. Catholics tended to be most lenient, while Protestants tended to be more rigid in their political views.
"Most American Christians think you can be a good Christian and drink while married to a non-Christian, but few think that you can be a good Christian and support legal abortion," the report stated. "In general, however, Catholics tend to be more forgiving than Protestants.
"Sixty-seven percent of Catholics say you can be a good Christian and be married to a non-Christian, compared to 56 percent of Protestants. Thirty-seven percent of Catholics also say you can be a good Christian and also be in a same-sex relationship, compared to 27 percent of Protestants. Protesants (29 percent) are more tolerant of supporting legal abortion than Catholics (20 percent), however."
The degree to which Christians tolerate differences of opinion on political issues appeared to be affected by gender, as well. Women were, in general, less likely to say that someone is not a good Christian than men.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details