Just hours before he was set to take the stage at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland and formally accept the Republican presidential nomination, Donald Trump got some great news from Dr. James Dobson.
The world renowned family advocate said he had decided to endorse Trump, but not just because he had concerns about Democratic presidential nominee-in-waiting Hillary Clinton. There were plenty of reasons to vote for Trump and not just against Clinton, he added.
"I am supporting Mr. Trump primarily because I believe he is the most capable candidate to lead the United States of America in this complicated hour," he said. "I am also very enthusiastic by the selection of Gov. Mike Pence as Mr. Trump's running mate. Together, I believe they will make America great again.
"Mr. Trump has been unwavering in his commitment to issues that are important to evangelicals such as myself. In particular, I have been heartened by his pledge to appoint conservative Supreme Court justices, preserve religious liberty, rebuild the military and defend the sanctity of human life."
Dobson addressed Trump's inconsistent message on abortion, saying he chooses not to evaluate the Republican nominee on his past positions, but rather on his current convictions. He said he believes God can change the hearts and minds of people, and he "celebrates" whenever they support "principles of righteousness."
He also noted that hearing Trump's children speak about their father, and the manner in which they do so, had a profound impact on his nomination decision. Echoing a sentiment Pence made earlier in the week, Dobson said one cannot make his or her children speak about him or her the way Trump's children spoke of their father this week at the Republican National Convention.
"Of course, I make this endorsement in my personal capacity and not on behalf of any organization," he added. "Though I can tell you most evangelicals I know have decided for various reasons that they will really have only one choice for president, and that is Donald J. Trump. I believe it's a good choice. America needs strong and competent leadership."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details