Religious liberty advocates have been urging President Obama to appoint a religious liberty ambassador since shortly after he entered office.
He answered this summer with Suzan Johnson Cook, a former Baptist pastor and the first female president of the Hampton University Ministers Conference, a historic meeting of black preachers. As Ambassador-at-Large for the State Department's International Religious Freedom Commission, Cook will help the U.S. monitor global religious persecution and make policy recommendations.
Carl Moeller, president of the persecution watchdog Open Doors USA, says he hopes Cook's appointment "is a positive first step that the Obama administration is serious about advancing freedom of religion for every person and denouncing violations of those rights."
His group is one of 25 organizations calling on the president to adjust Cook's position to enable the ambassador to integrate religious freedom into U.S. foreign policy.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.