In 2013, a small family bakery in Northwestern Oregon refused to make a cake for a lesbian wedding.
The owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa had no idea their decision to follow the teachings of their Christian faith would lead to a multi-year legal battle. It's a battle still being waged.
Aaron and Melissa Klein were eventually punished by the state of Oregon—fined $135 thousand dollars for refusing to participate in the lesbian wedding event.
It was the price they had to pay for refusing to violate their conscience.
They also made the painful decision to close their beloved bakery—for good. The left-wing bigots and bullies finally got their pound of cake.
The Kleins made the announcement on the now-shuttered shop's Facebook page.
"The Kleins closed their business months ago and simply now updated their page to reflect that," said Hiram Sasser, an attorney for First Liberty Institute.
First Liberty is one of the nation's most prestigious law firms handling religious liberty cases.
"We are continuing our appeal and look forward to achieving justice for them and all people of faith who may find themselves in similar circumstances in the future," Sasser told me.
To be clear, Aaron and Melissa Klein did not go looking to engage in a fight with the LGBT community. The fight came to them and to their business.
Since that day more than three years ago, the Kleins have faced unrelenting attacks from the LGBT community. Their business was boycotted. They were bullied. Their children received death threats.
The Kleins were literally run out of business by an anti-Christian, homo-fascist mob.
It's hard to believe that something like this could happen in the land of the free, the home of the brave.
But we live in a nation that pledges its allegiance to the Rainbow flag—a nation where gay rights now trump everyone else's rights.
Todd Starnes is host of "Fox News & Commentary," heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is The Deplorables' Guide to Making America Great Again.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details