4. Accountability. Proverbs 18:1 says, "He who willfully separates and estranges himself [from God and man] seeks his own desire and pretext to break out against all wise and sound judgment"(Amplified). Because a person who has been caught up in sexual sin has wounded his soul, usually his perceptions are inaccurate and clouded by his own sin. Therefore, he needs to be accountable to someone else.
The principle of accountability is imperative to the restoration process. Any sexual sin is fostered in the darkness of secrecy. The one who has committed sexual sin has developed a pattern of lies and deception. Therefore, it is necessary for someone who has fallen into sexual sin to begin to live a life of transparency.
One of the most common misconceptions about accountability is the idea that the responsibility for being held accountable falls on someone else. For example, if I am accountable to someone, the misconception is that it is their responsibility to call me and ask me the hard questions.
This backward mentality couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, it is my responsibility to live a life of accountability. Consequently, I am the one who needs to recognize when I am being tempted. I need to make the call for help.
Accountability needs to be built on relationships established by God and grounded in His Word. A healthy relationship of accountability is one that directs you toward a more intimate relationship with Jesus. Such a relationship will challenge you to take responsibility for your own relationship with God, as well as for your own choices in life.
Accountability is a choice to expose yourself to the wisdom and counsel of others who are spiritually mature. God places godly friends and coaches in our lives--people who will help us reach higher levels in our walk with the Lord. The key is recognizing that divine flow we sense with another individual, pursuing that relationship and allowing it to take on the character that God desires.
The God of Restoration
The good news is, when God restores He doesn't use duct tape! In other words, when God restores something that has been broken--a life, a marriage, a family--it is always better, stronger and richer than before.
Yet this man knew that his heartfelt confession and apology would not be enough to bring restoration to his life and his marriage. Consequently, he chose to live a life of transparency.
When he left the house he would tell his wife where he was going. When he arrived, he would call her to inform her that he had arrived. He went out of his way to help eliminate anything that would cause his wife to feel insecure or suspicious.
He was also willing to take all the time necessary to rebuild his wife's trust, as well as rebuild his relationship with the Lord. Amazingly, he didn't make any demands on his wife or ask her to make any commitments to him. Rather, he began to live his life before her as a man of God.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details