Call it irony. An atheist is going to deliver the invocation in the town of Greece, New York. It's ironic because it's the same town that won the U.S. Supreme Court case that preserved its right in a 5-4 ruling to start its meetings with public prayer.
Of course, all public prayer isn't a petition in the name of Jesus—and the secular humanists are now moving to make the most of their loss.
Dan Courtney, who is endorsed by the American Humanist Association's (AHA) Humanist Society, is delivering a "secular invocation" on Wednesday. It's the first-ever secular invocation given before the town of Greece board meeting.
What is a secular invocation anyway? The Humanist Socieity defines it as a "short speech that solemnizes a meeting or event by appealing to the audience's shared human values instead of a deity."
Apparently, this secularist agenda is drawing more atheists to the town square. Since the Supreme Court decision, dozens of humanists have stepped forward to offer secular invocations before local legislative meetings, including Courtney.
Indeed, the AHA reports the Humanist Society's list of secular invocation speakers has more than doubled to include over 150 speakers since the town of Greece ruling.
The AHA has made it abundantly clear that it wants to boost its number of secular invocation speakers so that humanists, atheists and other nontheists across the nation can be represented at their local legislatures.
Was the Supreme Court ruling, then, a bittersweet victory? I don't think so. The alternative is no chance for prayers in the name of Jesus in the public square. Maybe some of these 150 speakers that plan to invade meetings with secular invocations will meet with some on-fire Christians who can show them Jesus.
Jennifer LeClaire is news editor at Charisma. She is also director of IHOP Fort Lauderdale and author of several books, including The Making of a Prophet and The Spiritual Warrior's Guide to Defeating Jezebel. You can email Jennifer at email@example.com or visit her website here. You can also join Jennifer on Facebook or follow her on Twitter.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details