"They parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it" (Is. 3:9, NIV).
"They not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them" (Rom. 1:32).
The above passages describe times where there was great moral decline in the land. Edward Gibbon, in his classic work on the fall of the Roman Empire, describes the Roman era's declension as a place where "bizarreness masqueraded as creativity."
Observing the president of our United States on Thursday in the White House, kicking off the official celebration of "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Month," he was introduced by two 9-year-old girls celebrating their lesbian mothers.
Flanked by a smiling Vice President Biden, President Obama then called out individuals with gay backgrounds amid applause. Finally, he reaffirmed his commitment to same-sex marriage and gay initiatives in America. This coincides with his administration releasing directives so that individuals will be forced to affirm homosexuality in the federal government. Remaining silent will be seen as discrimination and put their jobs in jeopardy.
Last week in Washington, D.C., was the giant gay pride event. This week it comes to Nashville, Tenn. These events are taking place all over America to brazenly celebrate, legitimize and promote the gay lifestyle in America. Having attended multiple events like this to share the gospel over the past decade, I can assure you there are parades, but they're not G-rated. Although children are everywhere, nudity, profanity, debauchery, drunkenness and drug abuse abound.
What is happening to our United States of America?
1. The downward spiral described in Romans 1 is unfolding before our eyes in this great country. Refusing to honor and give thanks to God, we are being turned over to our own self-indulgence, which takes us on the path to destruction unless there is revival.
2. Many leaders in our churches and ministries today are backing up and unfortunately remaining silent in the midst of crisis. Succumbing to fear, intimidation and political correctness, they are remaining silent and saying, "Well, let's just preach the gospel and trust that everything will work out." The Great Commission and Cultural Commission ("take dominion") are two wings, but unfortunately one has been forgotten.
3. Many of our political leaders are likewise afraid to speak up lest they be perceived as bigoted and homophobic. Politicians look to their next election. Statesmen look to the next generation. Unfortunately, we have more of the former and need more of the latter.
A few days ago, my wife's father, who is in his early 90s, spoke something to me that had tremendous impact on my life. He is a committed Christian, an elder and part of what is oftentimes called "the Greatest Generation" due to their courageous stand against the Nazis in World War II. Joe and Anne have been married 68 years!
He's never done this before, but he said he had a prophetic word to share with me. The core of it: "Why are leaders in our churches and ministries afraid to speak up in a charitable way concerning what's happening regarding homosexuality today?"
It would do us well to recall that in Nazi Germany, only a small percentage of the people were part of the Nazi party. Amid the atrocities, the overwhelming majority were apathetic and afraid to speak up. Consider the consequences.
Is history repeating itself?
It is imperative that those of us who are authentic Christians come to grips with the reality and urgency of this hour. We are in a tsunami! Our ship is filled with holes; the mast has fallen off; the navigation system has gone awry; and many of our leaders are nowhere to be found or strangely silent.
A national prayer ministry that I have served on as a board member for almost 40 years is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year. Our plea to Christians throughout this nation is to take seriously what God tells us in 2 Chronicles 7:14: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
We need revival! Revival has been called "God's arrival." May we all search our hearts and ask God to awaken us to the urgency of the hour and to give us a passionate quest to hear His voice and speak up for truth winsomely, persuasively and unashamedly, no matter what the cost.
The opposition is not ashamed. The clock is ticking. A third Great Awakening awaits all of us if we respond to His prompting in this day.
Larry Tomczak is a best-selling author and cultural commentator with over 40 years of trusted ministry experience.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer