Already, many candidates and major media are moving into full swing for next year’s elections. We must first understand what must be done before we can identify who can best help do it. Perhaps as important as any time since our founding, those who believe in divine providence and eternal principles must become well informed and actively involved in the political process.
Christians, pastors and all church leaders must totally reject the lie that “separation of church and state” means people of faith must remain silent, uninformed and uninvolved. Those who recognize truth and stand for it can turn the tide.
Our nation’s founders knew that the limits of the Constitution were placed on the government, not the people or religion. The right to stand up and support first principles is both a privilege and a responsibility. True freedom grants citizens the right to choose and we have a responsibility to choose right. The Bible declares, “Righteousness exalts the nation”1 The psalmist affirms, “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.”2 “When the righteous increase, the people rejoice.”3
The only solid ground on which individual lives, families, communities and nations can safely build is the foundation consistent with unshakable biblical truth. When the weight of God’s kingdom impacts planet earth, you will clearly witness the footprints of our Father in heaven revealed through yielded lives, wise leadership, enforceable laws and national policies. The stage is set for a spiritual awakening. Now is the time for Christians to stand together as a mighty army in the face of all evil—even when it masquerades as the source upon which people are encouraged to depend.
The Old Testament reveals that God as Father wanted a family through which He could bless all the nations of the earth. The wise will learn from Israel’s journey. Paul said in the New Testament that what happened to Israel was an example for us.4 When ancient Israel wandered into idolatrous foolishness, they always ended up in oppression and bondage.
Search the Scriptures and observe the progression from freedom to slavery, from prosperity to poverty. In Genesis, the Israelites sold themselves into Egyptian bondage under the pharaohs. And then, after the Lord led them into the Promised Land, over and over they rejected God’s rule and ended up oppressed, until they repented.5 Once God restored their freedom and blessings, however, the cycle of rejection and oppression would start over again.
Now is the time for all Americans to choose whom and what they will serve. Christians must respond to the invitation issued by the prophet Joel to “return to God … and rend our hearts and not our garments.”6
There’s no time for religious ritual and meaningless tradition, but for the transforming worship of the living God. Truly transformed people have a positive impact on every aspect of life and culture. The profound effect of those living in the light and power of His kingdom is also revealed in history.
The correct question which demands focused prayer and active participation is, “What must we do?” rather than “Who should we elect?” When the citizens know the “what,” they will insist the “who” makes the right decisions or put them out of office as soon as possible. If all professing Christians, both Protestant and Catholic, along with Jewish people and those who believe the Bible is reliable, will stand together, the foundations will be restored, the walls of protection rebuilt and the people will have reason to rejoice.
Along with many national and church leaders, I’m seeking to know what must be done in order to effectively deal with present-day challenges. We must hold fast to moral principles and also make wise decisions concerning fiscal policies and practices. Some legislation and policies may be well-intended and based on sound moral principles, but they don’t work because they are based on bad economics. There is a difference between a principle and a policy.
For instance, you might believe that since God is concerned about the poor (a principle), we should raise the minimum wage to a $1,000 an hour and then everyone would be rich (a policy). But believing won’t make it so. The policy would create massive unemployment whether we like it or not. Permit me to share some of the obvious “what’s” to consider while seeking divine guidance. It is important to recognize:
- As the Pledge of Allegiance states, we are a nation under God; and as our currency proclaims, our trust is in God—not “gov.” If national leaders do not acknowledge what America’s founders understood concerning the importance of divine providence, there will be no recovery.
- All life must be protected and seen as precious with unlimited potential however unexpected or planned for. Remember, we can clearly learn from Nazi Germany that something can be legal but also very evil (i.e., the horrific extermination of the Jews and others considered less than perfect or unimportant).
- America must stand in the best interests of Israel against the evil forces calling for its destruction.
- Marriage is between a man and a woman and must be viewed as sacred. The strength of our nation depends on strong families, and national policy must protect marriage.
- There are moral absolutes. No person’s failure reduces or redefines the standards carved in stone by the finger of God and revealed in His Word. We must find a way to stop judges and courts from misinterpreting the Constitution and writing their own laws.
- Success and prosperity may be mishandled by some, but the potential for success that produces opportunity for all and prosperity at different levels is not the problem. Those we elect must keep the free market free, healthy and under the influence of people who understand the importance of personal responsibility.
- There are forces of good and evil, and they must be wisely and rightly defined, discerned and resisted. A strong national defense is critical. Radical Islam and terrorism are serious threats. Extreme environmental activism is, also.
- Depending on the federal government as our source is idolatry. We must control it, or it will control us. Stop the madness! Hitler believed that Germany needed a government over the people, not of the people. God deliver us from this kind of insanity.
- Out-of-control spending, mismanagement of the people’s money and excessive, intrusive regulation is as wrong and immoral as stealing. Spending must be brought under control now, at whatever sacrifice. This does not include foolishly giving the government more of the people’s money to waste or mismanage.
- “We the people” must be understood to mean that we all have a “dog in the show.” We are all responsible. We can’t just lay the load and responsibility on others, no matter how many twisted thinkers try to play the blame game. The opportunities and possibilities to succeed is not the problem. Don’t blame opportunity, begin inspiring and teaching responsibility. We must find a way for every citizen to help in some way shoulder the load. This can be accomplished without being unfair and riding on anyone’s back.
- Deal with excessive, foolish taxation and revamp the tax code along with the IRS so we can rejoice together because it will stimulate economic growth. This would create jobs and ultimately enable us to better assist the suffering, the weak, helpless and poor—not with just a handout, but with compassionate hands extended. The church can and must set the example.
- Let the people go. Turn them loose and behold the miracle made possible when people are truly free to be productive while assuming personal responsibility. Nehemiah rebuilt the wall in 52 days. Impossible? Not with God!
- The church must be delivered from the spirit of religion and filled with the Holy Spirit, leading us to the supernatural unity that produces holy harmony. National leaders must rise above partisanship and reason together, seeking effective solutions to serious challenges.
Now is the time for us to become the city set on a hill that cannot and will not be hid. This is the time for action. God is anxious to make up for the years the locusts have eaten, to pour out the former and latter rain, to reveal His love and His ways to those living in darkness, who are controlled by a worldview that denies God’s truth, minimizes it or ignores it. Never doubt, it is the enemy’s desire to bring all of God’s creation into bondage and defeat, ultimately leading to destruction. God and His truth offer fullness in life, fruitfulness and freedom manifested by abundant life with or without the abundance of material possessions.
The sad fact is, many people—including Christians—have not handled blessings and prosperity well. The church has grown in character strengths more through persecution and poverty than in prosperity. Do not make the mistake, however, of interpreting this as the perfect will of God. It is not! He wants us to live as overcomers in this life—trusting Him, living in Promised Land blessing, enjoying all things richly, enduring all things, assisting those who suffer and rejoicing continually when facing all trials or when exalted beyond measure.
I am declaring to everyone with ears to hear: Now is the time to return to God. Stand up like a mighty army! Pierce the darkness, storm the gates of hell, set captives free, correct our course, reclaim the land, make God the “who” in our personal and national life, and point people to the “what.” We will never find the right “who” until we know the right “what.” When the population understands the “what to do,” we can find the “who” to help lead and insist that every “who” does the right “what.”
Be assured when the Lord is our Shepherd, He leads us to lie down in green pastures, not a barren desert and beside still waters, not devastating storms (although He surely helps us overcome their impact). He comforts us in the valley of death, defeat or despair, and even while facing enemies, He prepares a table before us and anoints our head with the oil of His abiding presence. May we together run to the shelter of the Shepherd who will lead us to "what" and "who."
1 Proverbs 14:34
2 Psalm 33:12
3 Proverbs 29:2
4 1 Corinthians 10:6, 11
5 Nehemiah 9
6 Joel 2:12-13
James Robison is founder and president of LIFE Outreach International, a worldwide Christian relief organization, and is host of LIFE Today, a syndicated television program. He is also an author and prolific speaker who has personally influenced religious, political and social leaders for the last four decades and continues to dialogue with a wide range of highly visible people today. Robison is co-authoring the book Indivisible with Jay Richards to be released early next year. They will help clearly identify what must be done spiritually and nationally to restore faith, family and freedom.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details