"I prayed hundreds of times to God to heal my lungs. And it finally happened on July 2, 2016."
So says prominent Washington, D.C., pastor Mark Batterson of National Community Church on a recent episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. And this bestselling author chose to celebrate in an unusual way: by running the Chicago Marathon.
But he didn't accomplish such a challenging goal in a day or a week. As an asthmatic for more than 40 years, he wasn't a runner. To accomplish his goal, he had to change his habits. And Batterson says that's not easy in a world where, as February begins, most of us have already broken our New Year's resolutions.
"I think the problem is that we've got to take those goals, and we've got to reverse engineer them into daily habits," he tells Dr. Steve Greene. In his new book, Win the Day (Multnomah), he encourages readers with seven new daily habits that will move them into God's divine destiny for their lives. The first, he says, is to "flip the script."
"When I started training, I could barely run three miles, and I didn't run very fast," Batterson says. "And so what I had to do was download a training plan. And I did 72 training runs; it covered 475 miles over six months. Then and only then was I ready to run that 26.2 mile race.
"And so whatever that goal is, you've got to reverse engineer it and turn it into a daily habit," he adds. "And, I might add, that is measurable, meaningful and maintainable. And those three things are pretty key when it comes to establishing new habits."
For more from Pastor Mark Batterson about the seven daily habits that can help you move into your divine destiny, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here. And be sure to check out Batterson's new book, Win the Day (Multnomah), and subscribe to the Greenelines podcast for more inspiring stories.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details