Can deaf people be missionaries? The team at DOOR International believes so, and they're developing sign language resources to expedite the process.
DOOR President Rob Myers says many assume deaf people can use written tools as readily as their hearing friends, but reading is a sound-based activity. "Information access is a huge issue in the deaf community," he says, explaining many deaf prefer to learn new concepts in sign language.
"We're hoping to make video resources that would help local deaf communities [answer questions like], 'What is evangelism? How do I share the gospel [or] lead someone to the Lord? How do I disciple someone?'"
In partnership with several ministries, DOOR is developing these resources to fuel deaf-led evangelism and church planting efforts. They're also working on tools for sign language Bible translation.
Each deaf community has a distinct language and culture, making deaf believers the best ones to deliver the good news of Jesus. However, it hasn't always been easy for deaf believers to enter the mission field.
A quarter-century ago, many mission organizations refused deaf believers simply because of their deafness. "Or, they [deaf believers] might have been constrained if they had to be a self-supported missionary. Then, they ran into issues trying to raise their support," Myers explains.
Thankfully, "the understanding of the need for deaf ministry has shifted dramatically in the last 20 years," he says.
Praise God for breaking barriers of misunderstanding! "We used to consider deaf ministry as a 'special needs' ministry alongside other special needs ministries. Now, we realize deaf communities are just minority language groups," Myers says.
"In the same way that we would reach other minority language groups by doing Bible translation [and] training indigenous leaders, we do those same things now in deaf communities. The best people to reach those communities are other deaf people."
As this training ministry moves forward, ask God to guide the process and bring many deaf people into His kingdom. Download a prayer calendar from DOOR here.
"Ultimately, we're hoping these resources will help generate a curriculum for a training [and] leadership school," Myers says. Find ways to support DOOR's efforts here. "We would not be able to do the work that we do without being in partnership with other missions organizations, as well as other resource partners," he continues.
This article originally appeared on Mission Network News.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details