The company water cooler, a symbolic gathering post for employee chatter disguised as a refreshment center, has gurgled into a resting place for analog office tools.
I read a brief story about digital chatter in the Jan/Feb edition of The Atlantic.
While reading the story, I could only respond with a deep "Duh!" This is the sentence that evoked my guttural response:
"Workplace technology is revolutionizing how we communicate in the office."
The horse left that barn many years ago.
Companies discovered open office structures in the 1950s. Walk through any collection of cubicles or divider-free tables and you'll find digital walls guarding the mind-space of knowledge workers. The walls bear striking resemblance to earbuds or, perhaps, headphones.
Workers connect with virtual chat in their workspace. They connect through social media, instant messaging, texts and email. Meaningful conversations occur throughout the workday without too much personal interruption.
There is no need to knock on the digital office door. The sign for "DND" is understood. Earphones are closed office doors. At least in theory.
What hasn't changed, and probably won't, is that workers still find time for social chat away from their cubicles. People need time to talk with each other to share, laugh and cry. Facebook doesn't satisfy.
Open offices have many ears. Our work teams will always find a place for a private talk.
Love leaders encourage analog talks. The cooler may have disappeared, but the need for human interaction remains strong.
When you see earbuds, just smile at the sign of progress.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.