We live in a world defined by negativity. So much of the conversation surrounding politics, education, social challenges and even religion seems to be about what we're against to the extent that we too easily forget exactly what it is that we value. It's as if we have forgotten how to compliment one another. This can also be true in our marriages. One great exercise in intentional relationship building is the commitment to focus on the positive. Try the "I promise to say nothing negative to my wife for one entire day" pledge. Better still, try it for one week. Be a servant leader as you model active love.
Along the same lines, go a step further, and move beyond merely avoiding the negative, actually be deliberate about the compliments. We think it's such a good idea we've picked what we think are the 10 best compliments to give your wife:
1. "I love talking with you; you're interesting and funny."
Communication is a key component of a marriage that works. Lose conversation and you lose one another.
2. "Today was another one of those days that made me so glad I asked you to marry me."
You enjoy your life together. Make sure she knows it for a fact. Make sure she knows you'd ask her again in a heartbeat.
3. "Your life tells the truth about love."
This is a quote about love for the ages. Some people can be loving, or positive, or generous or kind. But the way your wife is loved goes beyond that. If you really "get" your wife, tell her how she is. Tell her every way you know how.
4. "The kind of mom you are makes it so much easier to be the kind of a dad I need to be."
This parenting thing is all about teamwork. Self-doubt is ever present. Be the encourager. Let her know she inspires you.
5. "Sometimes you are so beautiful that I just want to stand still and look at you."
Go ahead. Make her day. Then just look at her.
6. "Thank you for being such a hard worker."
Simply acknowledging she works just as hard, if not harder, than you do will go a long way to encourage her. Just because some in this world will not give her credit for all the labor of love necessary to be a wife and mother does not mean it's anything other than vitally important.
7. "Thanks for loving me the way you do; you make me want to be a better man."
Okay, so we borrowed this one from Jack Nicholson's character in the movie, As Good As It Gets. But it's more than a great line—this compliment lets her know she's inspirational.
8. "You're the reason this place is called 'home' rather than just a house."
Your wife puts her heart into the heart of your home. Recognize that. Let her know you appreciate her love and her skill.
9. "Thanks for being my best friend."
Most men own a feeling of real emptiness outside a loving marriage relationship. Tell your wife that you understand what's going on and that you value her gift of friendship to your life.
10. "Thanks for your honesty."
Many men, when they're honest, look at their wives as nags. And that is true at times for some women. But for many husbands, your wife's honesty is gift and a chance to grow. When your best friend who loves you is open enough to be honest, it's an opportunity for you to fix something. And that is invaluable.
What compliment does your wife most appreciate?
This article originally appeared at allprodad.com.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details