When a major financial services company first approached bestselling authors and researchers Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn about writing a book on how finances affect marriage, they were excited. And shocked. And afraid.
Despite their widely known, faith-based work on relationships, "in this area of marriage, this one area, we were still so not on the same page," Shaunti tells host Marti Pieper on the Hope for Your Marriage series on the Charisma News podcast. The kind of extensive research for which the couple has become known comes at a high cost, so "it was such an answer to prayer, but we were still so scared to try," she says. But when they dug into the research for their new book, Thriving in Love and Money (Bethany House, 2020), what they discovered—both personally and professionally—amazed them.
"It turns out the big overarching principle that was so surprising is that when you're having conflict over money, or tension or avoidance or whatever, it's not about the money. ... it's entirely about how money makes you feel. And how it makes your spouse feel," Shaunti says. "It's all these expectations and these beliefs about how money should work and these insecurities and these worries, all these things that are running into the surface, and we don't even know half of them."
So in this time of pandemic, as more couples face financial crises, what does this expert suggest? As in other areas of marriage, Shaunti and Jeff point out in their new book that becoming one is essential. "Ask yourself, do you ever try to pull the Amazon package off the front step before your spouse sees it? ... This is just a smaller example of the lack of oneness that causes some people to separate their accounts entirely," she says. "And so the first step, if we're really going to try to be one, and be able to come together around money, is to do a really honest self-analysis of, 'How much do I do this?' Because almost everybody does."
To learn more from Shaunti Feldhahn about how you and your spouse can move into healthy communication about finances that will last long beyond the pandemic, listen to the entire podcast here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details