Between cocaine and Christ, Brian 'Head' Welch stared his future down. The guitarist for rock band Korn pulled a 180 when he surrendered to God, including giving up his band.
Years later, he returned to the group with a fresh perspective. Much of it is detailed in Welch's new book, With My Eyes Wide Open: Miracles & Mistakes on My Way Back to Korn.
In an interview with The Arizona Republic, Welch details the dark escapades that led to redemption.
"Just how the whole thing came together, the financial stuff I went through," Welch says of the miracles God provided. "I was an idiot with my money and then miracle provisions were right there. I didn't know where I was gonna live, then I would meet someone and they would have a connection. The miraculous provision of the people that would fall into my life at the perfect time, the people that are like family now for my daughter and me. They were there at the perfect time when I was going back to Korn. All those little miracles add up to me."
Of his return to the band, Welch says, his faith influences how he interacts with fans and friends:
If it was a crazy party still, I would not have gone back. I mean, I'm around parties and we go to bars sometimes. I hang out with my friends and some of them drink mildly, but if there was, like, cocaine and bong rips thrown in my face every day, I couldn't do it. It's not the atmosphere I want to be around. So yeah, I was nervous. But once I met with the guys and reconciled with them, I was like, "Wow, they don't care about that anymore." It was a been there, done that type of thing. Some of them have young kids. They're still poppin' out new kids, so it's a different atmosphere. It's not like, "Let's get wasted and send our crew guys out to get, like, 50 girls backstage." It's different now that people care about their families and want their marriages to actually not end in divorce. They want to be good dads. They aren't killing themselves anymore. And it's been really cool. Everyone is focused on the music and the fans and just keeping this band together.
Watch the video to see the redemption in his own words.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.