Katy Perry, who has never shied away from talking about her faith and her Christian upbringing, recently opened up about answered prayers, spirituality and her boyfriend, John Mayer.
Perry, whose given name is Katheryn Hudson, was raised in a Pentecostal home as the middle child of two traveling ministers. In an interview for the February cover story of GQ, Perry talked about how God answered her prayers about her body at age 11.
“I’ve never had any plastic surgery,” the pop superstar said. “Not a nose, not a chin, not a cheek, not a t--. So my messages of self-empowerment are truly coming from an au naturel product.”
The 29-year-old also discussed her on-again-off-again relationship with John Mayer.
“I think that I needed to grow up," she said. "I’m just having a wonderful experience with a wonderful guy. There’s no rush.”
Perry’s 14-month marriage to Russell Brand ended when he sent her a text message that he was filing for divorce.
She wrote about the ordeal in “By the Grace of God,” a soul-bearing song on her latest album: “By the grace of God (there was no other way)/I picked myself back up (I knew I had to stay)/I put one foot in front of the other/And I looked in the mirror and decided to stay/Wasn’t gonna let love take me out that way.”
“That song is evident of how tough it really was at a certain point,” Perry told Billboard magazine. “I asked myself, ‘Do I want to endure? Should I continue living?’ All the songs are real-life moments.”
Last month Perry made it clear that she no longer identifies with Christianity. “I don’t believe in a heaven or a hell or an old man sitting on a throne. I believe in a higher power bigger than me because that keeps me accountable,” she said.
In the GQ interview, the pop star said she sees “everything through a spiritual lens.”
She added, “I believe in a lot of astrology. I believe in aliens. I look up into the stars and I imagine: How self-important are we to think that we are the only life-form?”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details