As Charisma Media's new publisher, I'm grateful for your contributions, whether for our print or online brands. Charisma Media recently celebrated the 40th anniversary of Charisma magazine—and God has been faithful to use us in His kingdom work. Now we're eager to keep moving forward as God leads us.
Our direction is simple: quality over quantity.
We've noticed that quality in many submissions to our magazines has declined in the last few years. In pursuit of excellence, we must resolve to hold our standards in research, writing and grammar to the highest level.
I'm pleased to introduce to you our revised writers' guidelines.
Below you will find our revised writing instructions. We've made quite a few updates. Some revisions should have been made long before now (For instance, you'll be pleased to know typewriters are no longer necessary to submit articles to us).
If you submit an article that doesn't adhere to our guidelines, we'll send it back to you.
I encourage you to look at our writers' guidelines. Read them thoroughly. We believe our guidelines will serve you well as a writer.
We'd love for you to keep writing for us. To make that happen, let's work together to produce quality content for the benefit of our readers. We look forward to your next submission!
Blessings to you,
These guidelines are for Charisma Media's online products, including the online content for Charisma, Charisma News and Ministry Today.
All articles must be edited prior to submission. If our editors deem the writing or editing quality unsatisfactory, the article may be returned with notes for revisions. We reserve the right to edit articles as we see fit.
If this necessary revision process causes an article to go unpublished or published later than desired, the responsibility falls on the author for failing to write at an acceptable quality level.
- Spirit: Bible study, church and ministry, devotionals, evangelism and missions, prayer, prophecy, revival, spiritual growth, spiritual warfare, supernatural, world religions, Bible reading guide
- Life: Business and finance, culture, education, family and parenting, health, men, politics, relationships, social justice, travel, women
- Entertainment: Books, movies, music, TV
- Media: Video, audio, photo, Charisma Podcast Network
- Ministry News: Kingdom culture, features, columns
- Ministry life: Children, college, counseling, couples, deliverance, family life, legacy, marketplace, married, men, money, multi-ethnic ministry, multicultural, parenting, personal finance, prayer, preteen, recreation, relationships, seniors, singles, social media, special needs, teens, women
- Leadership: Business & spirituality, a pastor's heart, administration, adversity, counseling, calling, culture, devotionals, higher education, ethics, fasting, finance, money, pastoral care, pastoring, personal character, prayer, preaching, prophecy, vision, women in leadership, worship
- Outreach: Church growth, communication, community, discipleship, diversity, evangelism, facilities, growth, healing, innovation, marketing, missions, prayer, resourcing, service, world
- Facilities: Accounting, communication, construction, environment, equipment, expansion, media, multimedia, multisite, taxes, technology
Editors have discretion to modify rules or add new ones as they feel the situation requires.
- All articles must contain content relevant to Charisma. Our audience enjoys stories about the move of the Holy Spirit, prophetic, churches, Christian values, pastors, miracles, the end times, healings and prominent Christian leaders.
- Articles must be properly capitalized and use correct grammar. When in doubt, consult the AP Stylebook.
- All articles must be fewer than 1,500 words. Longer articles will be broken up into multiple parts to run on different days.
- All articles should be submitted to the proper editor at least 24 hours before the deadline.
- All sources must be properly cited with attribution. Please provide hyperlinks to the original content. For examples, see charismanews.com.
- All facts and statistics should be checked.
- All verses should be given in MEV Bible translation.
- Any editorial should include the author's biography. Editors are not responsible for seeking out a biography.
- Do not use footnotes; directly link to any outside sources within your article. Links or references to articles written by Charisma Media's competitors are strongly discouraged.
- Libelous content—content that cannot be verified or is gossip—will not be published.
- Articles may not include profanity or graphic content.
- Editors have discretion to reject stories that could be considered salacious, defamatory, overly antagonistic or offensive to our readership.
- Our decisions are made on behalf of our readers not our writers.
At Charisma Media, we write in spirit and in truth. Philippians 1: 9-10 calls us to be "blameless" and approving of "things that are excellent." With that foundation, we decry the practice of plagiarism, using another's work without proper attribution.
As a writer, if you attempt to pass off someone else's writing as your own or do not source your quotes or information correctly, we will reject your submission. Plagiarism can also occur when you use someone else's argument or expression, so take care to cite the source.
Recycled content does not honor the spirit of excellence we seek to maintain in our writing. Plagiarism undermines the trust of our readers, which is critical to our work as journalists.
Editorial Process for New Writers
New writers may submit a brief query through our submission form. We are not always able to respond to every query, but we will respond if we need more information or if we accept your idea. If your query is accepted, we will provide further direction for the full article.
After we've accepted your query, write the online article according to the guidelines we send. Send your article via email along with your byline and brief bio.
Editorial Process for Returning Writers
Your story should be submitted to the necessary editor for the appropriate product. The editor will then review it for the guidelines mentioned above. Though headlines and subheads may be suggested, the editor reserves the right to change the suggestions to create more audience appeal. Stories are then edited for AP Style. The editor will select a relevant photo pass it along to a copy editor. The stories will then go live on the designated site, with the best stories shared to social media. At any point in this process, a senior editor can cut a story. Our publisher can choose not to publish any submission.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.