Another church in Tanzania's extreme northwest corner, Kagera—bordering Uganda, Burundi and Rwanda—was burned to the ground on May 2 by suspected arsonists.
No group has claimed responsibility for the fire that destroyed the Roman Catholic church in Nyarwele.
It is the third church in four months to be burned down, after the Tanzania Assemblies of God and Pentecostal Assemblies of God churches, said Kagera Regional Police Commander, Mr. Augustine Ollomi.
He added that seven suspects are currently helping police investigations following the burning down of other churches in the region last year, six within one week in September 2015.
At the time of the 2015 attacks, the secretary of the local Bukoba Pastors' Fellowship said there have been many arson attacks in the Kagera area: "Since 2013, we have had over 13 churches torched here in Kagera and no one has been held accountable. This is not acceptable," the secretary—who wished to be known only by her first name, Annette—said. Paulina Nkuba witnessed this week's fire. The 67-year-old said she raised the alarm with neighbors.
"I live near the church. While I was sleeping, [my grandson], studying at the Kimiza Primary School, told me that the church was on fire," she said.
"I went to the church and started to put water on the fire," she said, "but I could not manage to put it out."
Another witness, Jackie Mrina, said that by the time he had reached the church, the fire had taken too much of a hold and it was impossible to put out.
According to the chairman of the church, Sabas Kafuba, among the burnt items are church documents, chairs, tables, the psaltery and generators.
Fortunatus Bijura, a priest at the church, said the church's destruction will not stop the congregation meeting: "Those who think that destroying our church means we won't pray, they are wrong ... we have a big tree near the church and will continue meeting there for prayers."
Local police have requested the community work together to discover how the fire happened.
Almachius Vicent Rweyongeza, Catholic Bishop of the area, appealed for calm and requested that locals co-operate with police to catch those responsible.
This article originally appeared on World Watch Monitor.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details