Students in Aberystwyth are pushing for thousands of Gideon Bibles to be removed from university accommodation.
A poll conducted by the students' union claims that more than half of students felt that having the Bibles in university accommodation as a matter of course was "uncomfortable" or "unacceptable."
The call to ban Bibles mirrors action by the University of Huddersfield in 2013—it said it wanted its properties to be "ethically neutral."
Student John David Morgan raised the matter at a student council meeting that 50 people attended in January.
He claimed that the "inclusion of Bibles in university bedrooms is inappropriate in a multicultural university such as Aberystwyth."
The student went on to say: "It could be offensive for some, and the university should provide a safe space for students to explore and develop their beliefs in a neutral environment."
'Support and Encouragement'
A spokesman for The Christian Institute said: "It is hard to imagine how a person could actually be offended by a Bible simply being in their room.
"The Gideons have been supplying Bibles free of charge for over a century now, providing support and encouragement for Christians and non-Christians alike.
"Banning the Bible because some people might be uncomfortable with it would be a huge overreaction.
"Students who feel uncomfortable having a Bible in their room could instead see this as an opportunity to try and engage with it.
"Local evangelical churches and the Christian Union will be only too happy to help them."
The University of Huddersfield's decision to remove Bibles from its student accommodation was branded 'anti-Christian' by a retired local minister, Rev. Mike Smith.
'Tragic and Bizarre'
Last year nationwide hotel chain Travelodge removed Bibles from all of its rooms in a move criticized by the Church of England.
A spokesman said: "It seems both tragic and bizarre that hotels would remove the Word of God for the sake of ergonomic design" or "economic incentive."
The motion calls for all of the Bibles in university bedrooms to be removed at the end of the current academic year.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details