In the midst of politics, truth twisting and occasional reports of religious persecution, the fact is that religious freedom in the domain of the Palestinian Authority may go unnoticed by the western Christian world except for the efforts of a few.
Although their official religion is Islam, the Palestinian Authority has officially embraced the individual's right to chose one's religion in contrast to what political foes might want the Christian world to believe.
The PA has recently removed religious classification from Palestinian ID Cards and supports Christian efforts led by at least one such evangelical as Terry McIntosh, a minister from Paducah, Kentucky who recently hosted a series of public meetings in Palestine to include the Balata Refugee camp in Nablus. The PA has supported the McIntosh effort for peace and unity through Jesus Christ dating back to the early days of the Oslo Accords and Yasser Arafat.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas recently issued the decision, confirming that religion will not be specified on Palestinian identity cards and passports, so that citizens won't be treated based on their beliefs. The Palestinian Authority Interior Ministry in Ramallah has begun issuing identity cards for citizens that don't specify the bearer's religion. Religion was first included on Palestinian IDs in 1995 at Israel's insistence.
According to Chief Palestinian Negotiator, Dr. Saeb Erekat, the Palestinian Authority will see freedom of expression, accountability, transparency and women's rights in his lifetime. McIntosh says that his work in country demonstrates the validity of that intent. "Thinking people realize that peace is realized quicker when each man is left to make his own choice about such personal issues as faith without fear of retribution. Both Christian and Islamic extremists will just have to accept the idea or risk jeopardy to themselves."
Deputy Governor Jamal Rjoub publicly addressed the McIntosh team in Jericho and confirmed the need to pray for peace and to respect human rights in spite of any differences in faith.
McIntosh adds, "Another little known fact is that the Arab community is the strongest Christian voice in the Holy Land. Often, spin reports make it appear as though Palestinians are all members of an extreme Islamic sect bent on the destruction of Jews and Christians. The fact is that Christians serve in official positions of the Palestinian Authority. The PA agrees that if one chooses to be a Muslim, or a Christian, let him live in peace with his faith."
McIntosh and his team seeks to bridge the gap of political and religious divides, and calls upon both Palestine and Israel to do right before God. He says, "We believe the problem is spiritual resulting in political turmoil."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details