Pastor Makes Impassioned Plea for Colorado Legislature to Abolish Abortion

On Feb. 23, Pastor Jeff Durbin of Apologia Church and the leader of End Abortion Now testified before the Colorado legislature on behalf of HB22-1079 Abolishing Abortion in Colorado, a bill aimed at ending abortion in what is considered a very liberal state.

A tireless pro-life advocate, Durbin realizes he is facing an uphill battle.

"I'm speaking on behalf of over 60 million pre-born human beings murdered since the tyranny of Roe [Roe v. Wade] and the thousands killed daily, upwards of 3,000 killed per day in this nation," Durbin said. "Science is on our side. We know it's a fact, irrefutable, and the heads of Planned Parenthood and other organizations admit, 'Yeah, it's fully human at conception, but we still have the right to kill children in the womb.'

"We don't kill other human beings because they're small. My wife would be in huge trouble if that were the case. We don't kill other human beings because of their level of development," he said. "I have a toddler who's 2 years old that I adopted who was going to be killed because he had spina bifida as a diagnosis. His mother had two abortion appointments. His name is Augustine ... and we don't kill other human beings because of simply where they're located. What is in the womb is fully human. And what's being killed in our nation is about 3,000 per day."

Durbin also addressed the pro-abortion argument that women have bodily autonomy.

"All arguments from humans that we have bodily autonomy are pro-life arguments because what's in the womb is human," Durbin said. "If your argument is that humans have bodily autonomy then humans in the womb have bodily autonomy. So every time you hear it, it's self-refuting, every single time. The decision of Roe v. Wade is not law. Congress legislates in our nation. Congress creates law, not the Supreme Court.

"Your marijuana laws show that states resist the federal government," he added. "You do it every day in Colorado. You resist the federal government for marijuana, but you won't do it for children. That's a sin. It's a crime. I call you to turn to Christ, do what's right and establish justice."

Colorado Majority Co-Whip, Rep. Kyle Mullica , a Democrat, retorted that he would never know what it's like to carry a child, especially one that may not come to term.

"Can you relate or know what it's like to carry a child that may not be able to come to term? Mullica asked. "We heard a testimony earlier tonight about carrying a child [whose] organs weren't fully developing. Do any of you know what that's like to carry a child or have to deal with that?"

"No. I'm biologically male, and I can't create life," Durbin responded. "However, I have five children, and my wife carried them all. When we talk about the emotional impact of a child who is in the womb, who has some sort of genetic abnormality, that is a heavily emotional situation because of the value and dignity of human life.

"It's an impactful thing to consider," he said. "For example, my son was in the womb with the worst stage of spina bifida. ... He's 2 years old, and he's the greatest gift of my entire life. All of life is precious. We live in a fallen world. There is sickness, disease and decay. These are things that hurt all of us. You feel the weight of it, sir. And so do I, but what we don't do is then say, 'Well, these are painful circumstances, so let's allow people to kill their children.'

"I want to just point out one fact," Durbin said. "Of all abortions, almost 3,000 a day, less than 2% are because of rape, incest [or] life of the mother. The other 98% are because of convenience."

HB22-1079 Abolishing Abortion in Colorado, sponsored by Colorado Rep. Dave Williams, a Republican, was postponed indefinitely on a 4-7 party-line vote. All Republicans voted to advance the bill for a vote by the rest of the Colorado General Assembly. All Democrats voted against it.

Rob Vischer is a freelance writer for Charisma News.

Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.

To contact us or to submit an article, click here.

Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.

Related Videos

Newest Videos

Trending Videos

Charisma News - Informing believers with news from a Spirit-filled perspective