At the request of a local police chief, chaplains from the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team (BG-RRT) are ministering in Levelland, Texas, where a SWAT commander was killed and four other officers were injured last week.
On July 15, an hours-long standoff occurred in a small west Texas city after officers responded to a call about a possible armed man in a residential area. Gunfire quickly ensued, injuring officers. The 22-year-old suspect barricaded himself in a home before eventually being injured and taken into custody.
Sgt. Josh Bartlett, leader of the Lubbock County Sheriff's Office SWAT command, later died from his wounds, and the other injured officers are on the road to recovery.
"The Billy Graham Rapid Response Team is saddened to hear about another law enforcement officer who was killed in the line of duty, and we are praying for healing for the other officers who were injured," said Josh Holland, BG-RRT's assistant director.
"We have crisis-trained chaplains with law enforcement backgrounds who are deploying to the area to provide hope and comfort to the officers as they grieve."
Chaplain Coordinator Kelly Burke, a retired police officer, is leading a team of five chaplains and will continue serving through the weekend.
Over the past year, the Rapid Response Team has been hosting Law Enforcement Appreciation Events to show their support to officers who protect and serve communities. This summer, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association began offering a week-long spiritual retreat in Port Alsworth, Alaska, for officers and their spouses.
Do you know a police officer? Let him or her know about Law Enforcement Appreciation Retreats at the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove in September and October
This article originally appeared at bgea.org.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details