Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a rising star in the Republican Party, appeared at a press conference at a Fort Myers middle school Tuesday to sign three bills, two related to high school civics education and one guaranteeing free speech at state universities, the Associated Press reports.
The bills appear to have the same general goal: helping protect students from an increasingly left-leaning educational system. All three align with DeSantis' weekend pledge to "put on the full armor of God" to fight leftism, words he shared at the Faith & Freedom Coalition's "Road to Majority" Conference.
House Bill 5 directs the state Department of Education to provide a curriculum designed to educate students on the evils of communism and totalitarian regimes like Nicaragua and Venezuela, per the Orlando Sentinel. The other civics education bill deals with bridging high school and college civics studies.
"Why would somebody flee across shark-infested waters, say leaving from Cuba, to come to southern Florida?" DeSantis asked. "Why would somebody leave a place like Vietnam? Why would people leave these countries and risk their life to be able to come here? It's important that students understand that."
The bill related to free speech at universities, DeSantis said, will help with parents' fear that students will become indoctrinated through the teaching found there.
"It used be thought that a university campus was a place where you'd be exposed to a lot of different ideas," he said. "Unfortunately now, the norm is really these are more intellectually repressive environments. You have orthodoxies that are promoted and other viewpoints are shunned, or even suppressed. We don't want that in Florida."
DeSantis also reminded those in attendance of his recent ban on the teaching of critical race theory, which he said is too critical of American history because of the ways it addresses racism, in Florida schools.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
For more information on how you can fight back against cancel culture, make sure to get a copy of what Charisma founder and CEO Stephen Strang says is his most important book yet. God and Cancel Culture releases Sept. 7, the day after Labor Day, wherever fine books are sold. Pre-order it at stevestrangbooks.com or on Amazon.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details