As Judge Amy Coney Barrett faces the Senate Judiciary Committee today, new polling shows that nearly half of voters said she should be confirmed, according to Morning Consult/Politico.
In the poll, performed twice to track the trend, 46% of voters support Barrett becoming a Supreme Court Justice. During the first poll on Sept. 26, 37% of voters from all political parties said she should be confirmed. The second polling showed that number increased to 46%. Both polls involved about 2,000 registered voters.
In a breakdown by political party, the numbers supporting Barrett's confirmation are:
— Democrats, from 14% Sept. 26 to 24% Oct. 2-4
— Republicans, from 71% Sept. 26 to 77% Oct. 2-4
— Independents, from 28% Sept. 26 to 36% Oct. 2-4
The number of Democrats who said they do not want Barrett confirmed on Sept. 26 was 34%, a number which fell to 31% during the second poll. The remaining voters indicated they don't know or they have no opinion.
Barrett currently presides over the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. She was on President Donald J. Trumps' shortlist for the Supreme Court in 2018 when he chose to nominate Justice Brett Kavanaugh. She was officially nominated by President Trump Sept. 28.
As the World Watches
Today, the confirmation hearing for Barrett begins. It's expected to be a day of introductions and opening statements from Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., and ranking member Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. The remaining senators will then give 10-minute opening remarks followed by five-minute introductions. Barrett, too, will offer opening remarks.
Out of the 53 Republican senators, only two—Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska—have said they want the Senate to wait until after the presidential election to move on a Supreme Court nominee. That means Republicans, barring any unexpected defections, almost certainly have the votes to move Barrett's nomination forward.
This week's hearings begin at 9 a.m. today and may be viewed live through Thursday, Oct. 15.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer