Ed Young chuckled to himself, realizing the backlash he'd soon receive for warning "woke" Christians against jumping too quickly onto "cultural hype trains."
Sure enough within a matter of days, Young, a megachurch pastor in Grapevine, Texas, was dragged repeatedly on social media for —in the eyes of his detractors—failing to recognize the difference between the phrase "Black lives matter" and the official organization. The irony, the predictable reality Young was laughing to himself about just days before, is their comments were in response to a video in which the Fellowship Church pastor explained the difference between the three-word phrase and the organization, endorsing the former and disavowing the latter.
"'Woke' Christian leaders and pastors today are jumping on the 'hype train' of what culture is currently applauding," said Young. "But they don't really look at what the hype train is connected to. For example, many of the things culture applauds are connected to relativism, abortion, transgenderism, the breakup of the nuclear family."
One example of the "hype train," the preacher said, is the Black Lives Matter movement, according to a report from The Christian Post.
Young explained he "wholeheartedly agree[s]" with the phrase, adding, "I believe in it and the church should champion it. We should stand up for equality and justice. I believe we need to lead out."
"But I can't support or agree with the core beliefs of the organization Black Lives Matter," he continued. "It's tied to abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism and the breakup of the nuclear family—just to name a few. So I'm not going to hashtag that phrase, because whenever someone hashtags something, they need to hash it out through Scripture, and they need to understand what the people who have started the hashtag are actually living out and what solutions are they recommending."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details