If a prophecy is filled with judgment and negativity toward an individual, believers should steer clear of it. So says Pastor Bob Sawvelle of Passion Church in Tucson, Arizona.
Such prophecies don't emulate the heart of God, Sawvelle adds. He encourages believers who prophesy to others to speak life and hope.
"I always encourage the folks in our church and those students who I teach online that if prophecy has a ring of condemnation to it, that's not God," Sawvelle said on a recent episode of "Charisma Connection" on the Charisma Podcast Network. "In Romans 8, Paul says that those who are in Christ Jesus are no longer under a spirit of condemnation. They are free from that.
"At its very basic level, prophecy is about love and hope and affirmation to us. Even Jeremiah spoke to those who were about ready to be exiled and under 70 years of captivity that ... God knows the plans He has for us, for peace and for a future filled with hope. In 1 Corinthians, Paul says prophecy is for edification, exhortation and comfort. We need to shy away from anything else because that's not God."
To find out more about how to weigh a word of knowledge, listen to the podcast below.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details