Prestigious American university Harvard has suspended a Christian student group that asked one of its leaders to step down after she started a lesbian relationship.
The group, Harvard College Faith and Action (HCFA), informed the unnamed woman—an assistant Bible course leader—that her relationship went against the group's character standards.
HCFA has now been placed on probation for a year—the first time this has been done to any student group.
Harvard claimed the group's decision violated its guidelines stipulating that campus student groups cannot discriminate on the basis of "sexual orientation."
Co-presidents of HCFA, Scott Ely and Molly L Richmond, released a statement about the controversy to explain that the group includes "sexual purity" in its character standards.
"Our theological view is that—for professing Christians who are in leadership—celibacy is the only option outside the bounds of marriage. We have applied and do apply this policy regardless of sexual orientation."
In an email released by The Harvard Crimson student newspaper, the woman said that she and her partner felt "extremely at peace" about their relationship.
Whilst the group is under probation, it will be barred from student fairs, lose free access to meeting rooms, no longer be allowed to advertise on campus and lose some university funding.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.