Students at the University of California, Fresno sued a professor Thursday for wiping away pro-life chalk messages that were approved by the university.
The Students for Life group at Fresno and the group Alliance Defending Freedom are suing Dr. Gregory Thatcher, who teaches public health at the university, for scrubbing out pro-life messages the group had chalked on a walkway earlier in May, according to a press release obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation.
"We have a teacher [who's] telling us to get rid of it," an unnamed student confronted by Students for Life for wiping out the chalk said in the video.
The female student then directed the camerawoman to Thatcher.
"You had permission to put it down," said Thatcher while scrubbing out a message. "I have permission to get rid of it. This is our part of free speech.
"College campuses are not free speech areas. Do you understand? Obviously, you don't understand."
The professor noted that Fresno State has a designated "free speech area," but a Fresno State free expression policy obtained by The Daily Caller News Foundation and effective June 2015 shows that students can engage in free expression "in all outdoor spaces on campus."
"Fresno State Students for Life received full permission to chalk pro-life messages near the library. Rather than countering with his own message, Dr. Thatcher took the illegal approach of censoring speech and inciting students to help in this," stated Kristan Hawkins—president of Students for Life of America—in the press release. "No students should have to endure this kind of intimidation and harassment for simply expressing their views, but especially not those who want to help the women betrayed, and the preborn children killed, by the abortion industry."
Thatcher told The Daily Caller News Foundation that he had no comment.
"The university's policy is clear: Free speech on campus is not limited to a 'free speech zone' or any other narrowly defined area," said Joseph I. Castro, president of Fresno State. "The students who wrote the chalk messages received prior university approval and were well within their rights to express themselves in this manner."
"Those disagreeing with the students' message have a right to their own speech, but they do not have the right to erase or stifle someone else's speech under the guise of their own right to free speech. We are reviewing this matter and take the situation very seriously."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details