This week Pope Francis visits America for speeches in Washington, D.C., New York City and Philadelphia. The expected massive gatherings have led to coining the term "Popeapocalypse."
Increasingly recognized as the Moral Authority on earth, Pope Francis heads the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church with "a chain of command from the Vatican all the way to the local parish capable of transmitting information, ideology and material goods throughout the world" ("Why the Pope Matters," Huffington Post).
Rewind 500 years to the Protestant Reformation. On April 18, 1521, Martin Luther stood before Emperor Charles V and a vast assembly in Worms, Germany, to protest Catholic traditions that had replaced salvation by simple faith in Jesus Christ alone.
"Sola Scriptura" (which is Latin, meaning "by Scripture alone"), became a rallying cry of countless Reformers, including John Calvin (Presbyterian), John Wesley (Methodist), Charles Spurgeon (Baptist) and Matthew Henry (Bible Commentary author).
For many, the protest is over. A Christian News Network article titled "TV Preachers Glowingly Describe Meeting With Pope to Tear Down 'Walls of Division'" mentions Kenneth Copeland, James Robison and Joel Osteen seeking ecumenical solidarity with Pope Francis. Countless others are boarding this same ecumenical train. But not all.
"While Pope Francis teaches some valuable ideas," reports TV producer and bestselling author of over 30 books Steve Wohlberg, "he still promotes scores of unbiblical Catholic traditions, such as praying to dead saints, purgatory, private confessions to priests, priestly celibacy, Peter as the first Pope and imploring Mary to 'pray for us sinners' (the 'Hail Mary' prayer)—all of which contradict the Bible."
Quoting Scripture, Wohlberg says there is only "one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim. 2:5). "Even the title, 'the Holy Father,' is inappropriate. God alone is our 'Holy Father' (John 17:11)."
"Essentially, the Church that ruled Europe for nearly 1,000 years hasn't changed its core teachings," declares Wohlberg. "Instead, Protestantism has changed. So has America."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details