The Moravian Church's Northern Province approved a proposal to allow gays and lesbians to be ordained and to create a religious ceremony for same-sex couples.
By a vote of 181-62, delegates to the 2014 Synod approved a proposal Sunday (June 22) that also includes provisions to revise the Northern Province's Book of Order to reflect the changes.
"Moravians understand that God's call to us is to welcome all people, because God's embrace is far larger than our capacity to imagine," said the Rev. Elizabeth D. Miller, president of the Provincial Elders' Conference of the Moravian Church Northern Province.
This decision affects only those churches in the Northern Province, the largest of the denomination's three provinces in the U.S. and Canada.
Four years ago, the province's Synod mandated congregational forums for dialogue and prayer about the role of gays and lesbians in the church.
During an earlier session, delegates approved a resolution that affirmed the Northern Province's commitment to be inclusive of differing views regarding gay and lesbian ordination.
Based in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, the Northern Province includes more than 21,000 members in 93 congregations in 13 U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. The province spans New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, California, Ontario, Alberta, and Washington, D.C.
The Moravian Church was founded by Jan Hus, who was burned at the stake in 1415 for his criticism of the Roman Catholic Church.
Moravians, as they are called because of their origin in the Moravia and Bohemia regions of the Czech Republic, arrived in America in the early 1700s and built their first permanent settlement in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
"We know that there are Moravians who deeply love God, who honor the authority of Scripture and love the Moravian Church who do not agree with this resolution," said Miller. "It is my prayer that as Moravians, in relationship with one another, we can continue to walk together in love, even as we acknowledge our differences."
The worldwide Moravian Church consists of 21 provinces with more than 1 million members, half of which live in Africa.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details