Liberty University is now the nation's eighth-largest, four-year university and the largest private four-year, non-profit university in the United States, according to recently released data from the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics.
Liberty rose from 25th to eighth in one year, fueled by growth in both its residential and online programs.
"The dramatic increase in our size signifies that students are interested in an education that is not only academically excellent, but also based in values, integrity and character. The vision for Liberty University when it was founded in 1971 was to become a world-class Christian university with NCAA Division 1 athletics, academic excellence and all the programs for students that are found at any major university," says Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr.
"Brigham Young and Notre Dame were identified early on as universities that Liberty aspired to emulate for evangelical Christians. It is thrilling and humbling to see Liberty University fulfilling the original vision in so many areas, including the goals for enrollment, so early in the school's history."
To meet the increased demand for both their residential and online programs Liberty recently sold 120 million in bonds to fund a substantial increase in the school's physical plant.
Liberty is also expanding their online offerings, including launching first of their kind bi-lingual programs for the growing population of Hispanic students.
Liberty, with 64,610 students, is the largest four-year college in Virginia, surpassing George Mason University (39,977 students), Virginia Commonwealth University (36,553 students), Virginia Tech (33,080 students) and University of Virginia (31,157 students).
Liberty's growth has been fueled in large part by its online program, which grew from 36,740 students in 2009 to 51,478 students in 2010. Liberty University Online has 54,278 students enrolled in its online program in Spring 2011.
Liberty's resident enrollment at the end of February 2011 was 12,805.
President Jerry Falwell Jr. says he would like to see Liberty's resident enrollment grow to 20,000 in the next decade.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer