At a time when movie theaters across the country are featuring blockbuster hits promoting murder, drugs, sex, corruption, and the like, is there anything 'too controversial' to be shown on the big screen?
Compass Bible Church, in Aliso Viejo, Calif., found out first-hand that when it comes to promoting Easter, the answer is yes. The 30-second ad features short one-liners about what some conspiracy theorists believe may have happened to Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago, and ends with "find out what we believe about the resurrection at Compass Bible Church."
It wasn't the conspiracy theories, or controversy with the actual spot that threw red flags for the theaters. It was the fact that religious deity was promoted and the name of Jesus Christ was used. Using completely subjective terms, since there are no official written policies about such usage, the agency for the national theater remarked that its constituents might be offended by such an advertisement.
"We were told we could promote our Easter services with a commercial that featured the date, time and place with some fun bunnies and eggs thrown in," says Mike Fabarez, senior pastor at Compass Bible Church "But for us, Easter isn't about springtime fun, it's the most important day in Christian history, and we won't water that message down. It's unfortunate that what our country was founded on has now become 'too controversial.'"
After watching the video, what's your take?
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer