Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) attorneys say they are ready to offer free legal counsel to any government entities legally challenged for recognizing events related to Thursday's National Day of Prayer.
"Public officials should be able to recognize public prayer activities just as America's founders did," says ADF Senior Counsel Joseph Infranco. "After the events of this past weekend, it's hard to imagine better timing for this event. We encourage all Americans to take part in National Day of Prayer activities to give thanks to God and ask for His guidance. ADF stands ready to defend such activities if they are challenged in court."
ADF has long defended the National Day of Prayer, including its most recent defense of the National Day of Prayer Task Force and former spokesperson Shirley Dobson in the lawsuit Freedom From Religion Foundation v. Obama. ADF succeeded in having Dobson dismissed from the lawsuit at the district court level before filing a friend-of-the court brief on behalf of the task force at the appellate court level. On April 14, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit rejected FFRF's lawsuit and allowed the National Day of Prayer to continue.
In March, ADF attorneys authored a letter delivered to governors across the country, encouraging them to observe the 60th annual National Day of Prayer and explaining that they are on firm legal footing to do so.
President Barack Obama issued his 2011 National Day of Prayer Proclamation Tuesday, stating, "Prayer has played an important role in the American story and in shaping our Nation's leaders. It is thus fitting that, from the earliest years of our country's history, Congress and Presidents have set aside days to recognize the role prayer has played in so many definitive moments in our history."
In 1952, President Harry Truman signed into law a joint resolution by Congress to set aside an annual National Day of Prayer. Congress amended the law in 1988, which was signed by President Ronald Reagan, specifying that the annual event would be observed on "the first Thursday in May each year."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details