Stanley Roland Smith Jr., 59, died at his home on May 3, with his wife, JoAnn, by his side. He suffered from brain cancer for two years before his death.
Smith was the only child of Stanley Roland Smith Sr. and Charlotte Hale Smith. His father was a musician who played the French horn under Toscanini and his mother is a well-regarded Christian writer.
The younger Smith graduated from Pinecrest Bible Training Center with a bachelor’s degree from Canada Christian College in Ontario. After graduating, he began his ministry at the Pinecrest Retreat Center. He was later a Bible teacher at Faith Haven in Woodstock, Ontario. He also served as a pastor in Adrian, Mich., and pioneered a church in Detroit where he served as a pastor for more than a decade.
Smith and his wife took mission trips overseas to places as various as India, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Latin America and England. When Smith was no longer able to travel he and his wife planted and pastored a church in Nipomo, Calif. called The Gathering. He also wrote books and tracts on practical Christianity and a memoir of his wife, telling of her conversion. In his later years, he taught many believers over the Internet through his website gospelsmith.com.
Smith was a man of the Spirit and yet he was very down-to-earth. He centered his life in Jesus Christ. He was a deep thinker and a capable and practical theologian. All who heard him preach and teach and prophesy were brought into fresh focus on the Lord Jesus. He was not perfect, he had his blind spots and he was deeply sensible of his faults, but the difference was that he freely admitted as much and had a disarming candor in confessing those things.
None of us will forget his infectious sense of the absurd and his kindly humor. He was a delightful conversationalist. He was a loyal friend. He coped gracefully with brain cancer for the last two years of his life. During those years the two paramount aims of his life came into clearer focus: He loved God and he loved people. He may have been the smartest man many of us have ever known, and yet—all of that was eclipsed by love, the love of Jesus.
Smith and his wife attended Agape Church, where Smith was often called upon to preach or minister prophetically. A memorial service will be held at Agape Christian Church on May 19, 2012 at 11 a.m.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details